Saturday, March 21, 2020

Announcing the Disaster Blogathon





Announcing the Disaster Blogathon.  My co-host, Dubsism, came up with this idea, and I am privileged to be asked to be a co-host on it. 




Disaster movies cover a wide spectrum of topics.  Earthquakes, floods, meteor strikes, volcano eruptions.




But "disaster" is not limited to natural occurrences.  Any movie in which a group of people deal with the stress of the coming (or aftermath) of a traumatic event could conceivably fall into the "disaster film" designation.  Thus, the 1970 film Airport falls into the category as a group of people deal with trauma aboard an airplane.



For this blogathon we are requesting you pick a movie involving a disaster and sign up for this blogathon.  If you are unsure if your choice qualifies just ask us.  There are lots of movies to choose from, but only two people will be allowed to choose a certain movie, so get your choices in early.  Need a suggestion?  Try one of these.







The Roster:



Dubsism: The Concorde: Airport '79 and an examination of the two movies spoofed by the movie Airplane! (Zero Hour and Airport)
The Midnite Drive-In: The Stand mini-series (1994)

Angelman's Place: Deep Impact (1998)

Realweegiemidget Reviews Airport (1970)
Caftan Woman: The Hurricane (1937)
Moon in Gemini: The Andromeda Strain (1971)
@KinoJoan: Titanic (1953)
Sports Chump Independence Day (1996)
MovieRob: (TBD)
Phyllis Loves Classic Movies: The Poseidon Adventure (1972) and Beyond the Poseidon Adventure (1979)
The Oak Drive In: The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961)
The Spirochaete Trail: Hero (1992)
Cinematic Catharis: It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955)
Taking Up Room: The Towering Inferno (1974)
Silver Screenings: When Worlds Collide (1950)
Hollywood Genes: Melancholia (2011)
Hamlette's Soliloquy: The High and the Mighty (1954)
The Stop Button: Ashfall (2019)
John V.'s Eclectic Avenue: Miracle Mile (1988)
Pale Writer: Airport '75 (1975)
MovieFanfare: End Day (2005)
Horseback to Byzantium: Exit (2019)
The Sacred in the Secular: Pompeii (2014)
And You Call Yourself a Scientist? No Time at All (1958)
Pure Entertainment Preservation Society: Titanic (1953)
Pure Entertainment Preservation Society: an article about the production Code's influence on disaster films made during  the Breen era (1934-1954)  "Code Concepts: Disaster Films, Responsibility and Irrational Fear".
An Aging Broad with a Scrapbook Deluge (1933)


52 comments:

  1. I'd like to join with The Hurricane, 1937.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'd like to cover The Andromeda Strain (1971).

    Debbie
    Moon in Gemini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Daniberry (@kinojoan). can I do Titanic (1953), please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you put me down for one post on both “The Poseidon Adventure” (1972) and “Beyond the Poseidon Adventure” (1979)? Thanks! http://phyllislovesclassicmovies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just added you on my site. Thanks for joining and that's a great set of picks!

      Delete
  5. i'm definitely in..just need to decide on my 3 picks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to do The Day The Earth Caught Fire 1961 if possible. Thanks! http://theoakdrivein.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could I maybe do "The High and the Mighty" (1954) starring John Wayne? Would that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said in my own review earlier this month of it I think it is probably the grandfather to disaster movies. I'll add it to the list when i get a chance.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely...since I may or may not be touching on that one as well :)

      Delete
  8. Hello there!

    I'd like to join in with Miracle Mile (1988) featuring Anthony Edwards & Mare Winningham. Perhaps more apocalyptic film than disaster, but I think it fits the bill.

    John of John V's Eclectic Avenue

    http://jveclectic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wanted to watch that for years. Just haven't come across it yet in the stacks at Half Price Books (where I buy nearly all my DVDs...) Thanks for joining.

      Delete
  9. Added you on my page as well! Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, this looks like a fun blogathon! I (Irene) would like to review 'Exit' (2019) for mine and my sister's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, looking forward, hope the end of the world doesn’t come before our apocalyptic film festival begins! (Too soon for dark humor?)

    Stay home, stay safe, watch lots and lots of movies—-and write about them!
    - Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well. writing about them is turning out to be hard. Can't seem to get in the mood. But thanks.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean. But inspiration WILL come.

      Delete
  12. I'd like to write something on Pompeii (2014).

    You can find me at charitysplace.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just added you on my site. Thanks for joining!

      Delete
    2. Been a busy week, but I'll get it added. Sorry for the delay.

      Delete
    3. My article on Pompeii entitled "Heroes Amid the Flames: Pompeii on Screen" goes live tomorrow morning. Here's the scheduled link. https://charitysplace.wordpress.com/2020/06/10/heroes-amid-the-flames-pompeii-on-screen/

      I will link back to your hub post, once it goes up. :)

      Thanks for letting me participate!

      Delete
    4. Still not up at this point but I'll check back later. I will link it at my first opportunity

      Delete
  13. Hi! - just found this via Cinematic Catharsis and would love to join in.

    Please put me down for No Time At All (1958).

    Thanks,
    Lyz
    (And You Call Yourself A Scientist!?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in! Just updated my page to include you! https://dubsism.com/2020/03/21/can-you-survive-the-disaster-blog-a-thon/

      Delete
    2. Got it. Thanks for joining.

      Delete
  14. I would love to join your disaster blog-a-thon! I would like to cover Deluge (1933), if I may. Cheers!

    -Christine
    http://agingbroad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in. I just added you on my site!

      Delete
    2. Completely missed this. Sorry. I blame my changed work schedule...

      Delete
  15. My post is up a bit early:

    https://debravega.wordpress.com/2020/06/07/the-disaster-blogathon-the-andromeda-strain-1971/

    Looking forward to this event!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there, here's my post for the blogathon. https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/2020/06/09/films-airport-1970/
    from Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there! My post is up now: http://jveclectic.blogspot.com/2020/06/miracle-mile-fate-love-apocalypse.html

    Thanks!

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That link didn't work for some reason. But i managed to find it. Thanks for joining.

      Delete
  18. Hi Quiggy - here's my post! Thanks again!!
    https://angelman.blogspot.com/2020/06/deep-impact-1998.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. John Ford's The Hurricane: https://www.caftanwoman.com/2020/06/disaster-blog-thon-hurricane-1937.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm up too; thanks for letting me participate - Lyz.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here's my post:
    http://agingbroad.blogspot.com/2020/06/disaster-blogathon-deluge-1933.html

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here's my contribution. Thanks. https://spirochaetetrail.blogspot.com/2020/06/hero-aka-where-have-all-good-men-gone.html

    ReplyDelete

I'm pretty liberal about freedom of speech, but if you try to use this blog to sell something it will be deleted.