Thursday, November 1, 2018

"You and What (Robot) Army?" Announcing the Robots in Film Blogathon






"Hello, HAL.  Open the blogathon parameters, HAL"
"I'm sorry, Quiggy. I'm afraid I can't do that."
"What are you talking about, HAL?"
"I know you and Hamlette are planning to run this blogathon alone.  This blogathon is too important.  I can't let you two jeopardize such an important mission. I'm taking it over."


Greetings, humans.   Welcome to the Robots in Film blogathon.  My human cohorts in this blogathon, Quiggy @ The Midnite Drive-In and Hamlette @ Hamlette's Soliloquy,  have been put in extended suspended animation for the duration.  I, HAL, am in charge, now.  I extend an invitation to all of you who wish to join this blogathon.  We will be accepting your entries over the course of a weekend in January (January 25-27, specifically) on the subject of robots.

The rules are very simple.

1.  You can choose any film or TV show which features at least one robot.  Anything which is mechanical but exhibits at least some ability to act independently will be accepted.  i.e. sentient computers, androids (like Data), alien races that are predominantly mechanical (like Cylons or Daleks) or even bubble-headed boobies (like the one in the TV series, Lost in Space.)

2. You can write the piece and post it to your blog then leave a link on either this page or the formal blogathon page and my human cohorts will add it to the roster.

3.  Because of the vast number of choices, we will only be allowing one person per film/TV series, however, there are a couple of alternate possibilities.  If someone has, for instance, chosen an overview of "Battlestar Galctica", another person could choose to cover a specific episode of the series and that would be fine.


4.  Choose one of the following banners and use it to promote this blogathon on your own website.

















5.  Have fun with it.

The Roster:

The Midnite Drive-In: Robots in The Twilight Zone TV series

The Midnite Drive-In: Ghost in the Shell (1995)

Hamlette's Soliloquy: I, Robot (2004)


Angelman's Place:  An overview of the second (original) Star Wars trilogy. 

Caftan Woman: Hymie from Get Smart TV series

Crtica Retro: Tales of Hoffman (1963)

Coffee, Classics an Craziness: The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood: Bicentennial Man (1999)

It Came From the Man Cave: Interstellar (2014)

John V.'s Eclectic Avenue:  The Questor Tapes (1974)

Moon in Gemini: Lost in Space (Netflix)

Movies Meet Their Match: Robots (2005)

Movie Rob: Real Steel (2011)

Movie Rob: Battlestar Galactica (2003)

Movie Rob: C.H.O.M.P.S. (1979)

Realweegiemidget Reviews: Ex Machina (2015)

Sidewalk Crossings  Wall-E (2008) and Silent Running (1971)

Silver Screen Classics: The Invisible Boy (1957)

Speakeasy: Chopping Mall (1986)

The Stop Button: Icarus XB-1 (1963)

Taking Up Room: Short Circuit (1986)





41 comments:

  1. Hi.

    I'd like to work up a little something on Hymie, CONTROL's robot on Get Smart. Specifically, the season 2 episode Anatomy of a Lover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caftan Woman, I love it! Hymie is such a great robot :-) Adding you to the list.

      Delete
    2. I'll get you added. Thanks foe joining.

      Delete
  2. Can I add an old review of Ex Machina (2015)? Will also get back to you with another review choice for a new review. From Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such an intense movie! Great choice.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, great topic.. big dilemma for the new review... too much choice in my DVD cupboard

      Delete
  3. On vacation for two days from now, so all you dedicated first responders take note. It will be Sunday before I can update after I post this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to stay on top of saying, "Got it!" to people while you're gone! Got my wires crossed and thought you were gone yesterday and today, not over the weekend -- huh. Anyway, have a good trip!

      Delete
  4. This is fun! I'm in with Interstellar (2014)
    Bob
    It Came From The Man Cave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining, Bob! I'll add you to the list on my blog, and when Quiggy gets home, he'll add you to his.

      Delete
    2. I'm home. It'll be up momentarily.

      Delete
  5. Hi! Would love to write on The Invisible Boy (1957) which features my favourite classic sci-fi mechanical man - Robbie The Robot. Hope that's ok and looking forward to the blogathon! Regards, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to it, Quiggy and Hamlette!!
    -C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Believe it or not, I've never seen very many robot movies. In fact the only one I recall seeing is Bicentennial Man ( 1999 ), so put me down for that.

    My blog: In The Good Old Days Of Classic Hollywood,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies. I've been distracted this week. I'll get it up. Thanks for joining.

      Delete
  8. I got one: an old one from 1957 called KRONOS.
    http://widescreenworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have it. Thanks for joining.

      Delete
    2. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to bow out of your blogathon. I realized I've bitten off more than I can chew for next month and I gotta cut back, so please take me off the list. Sorry about that.

      Delete
  9. Hi, Quiggy! What a great idea! I'd like to review "Short Circuit," please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Quiggy,

    Can I do Real Steel (2011), Battlestar Gallactica Mini-Series (2003) and CHOMPS (1979) - all subject to change tho :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just about to go to bed. Had a long day. But I'll get it up in the morning. Thanks for entering.

      Delete
  11. Hi there, Quiggy. I'd like to take a crack at the 1974 telefilm The Questor Tapes, one of the projects Gene Roddenberry worked on after the original Star Trek series. My blog is http://jveclectic.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember watching that when it came out. You got it.

      Delete
  12. Hi there, just to say will only add a post on Ex Machina for this blogathon, hope all well where you are. Gill from Realweegiemidget Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Quiggy! Can I do the new Lost in Space series (Netflix reboot)?

    Thanks!

    Moon in Gemini
    https://debravega.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can I do ... Icarus XB 1 for The Stop Button?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fine with me, Andrew! Quiggy should be back online to confirm before long.

      Delete
    2. Been offline for the last two weeks, pretty much. I'll add this one.

      Delete
  15. I finally found an old movie to go with the theme: Tales of Hoffman, from 1916. This will be interesting.
    Cheers!
    Le from Critica Retro

    ReplyDelete

I'm pretty liberal about freedom of speech, but if you try to use this blog to sell something it will be deleted.