Monday, April 1, 2019

Announcing the Blizzard of Oz Blogathon



I was noticing the other day how many movies I dearly love were made in Down Under.  Not only that but some of my favorite actors and actresses also hail from that part of the world.  I decided it was high time to have a celebration of all things Australian (and by extension New Zealand since both are somewhat sister countries).

You are invited to participate in this blogathon to help me celebrate.  I chose the title before I decided on an actual date, but it seems fitting that a blogathon with a title like "Blizzard" of Oz start around the time of the beginning of winter in that part of the world.  So the blogathon will run from June 21-23.

There are a few rules to establish here.

1.  You can choose any movie or TV show that was filmed in Australia or New Zealand.  Additionally you could also choose a movie filmed elsewhere as long as the setting of the film is supposed to be taking place in Australia or New Zealand.  (I can't think of one off the top of my head, but just in case...)

2.  You could also pick a movie or TV show featuring one of the many stars who hail from the region, and those would not necessarily have to have been filmed there.

3.  I will allow up to 2 entries on the same movie.  Let's try to get a variety however.  

4. Write your blog article then send a link either here or to the actual page of the blogathon when it gets posted.

5.  Please promote the blogathon on your page with one of these excellent blogathon banners created for me by Hamlette.  (And visit her website,too.  Its https://hamlette.blogspot.com I'm soloing this one, but she writes a good blog, too)









.

The following have already been claimed:


The Midnite Drive-In: The Road Warrior a.k.a. (Mad Max 2) (1981)
The Midnite Drive-In: Strictly Ballroom (1992)

Angelman's Place: The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)
Caftan Woman: The Sundowners (1960)
Coffee, Classiucs and Craziness: Gladiator (2000)
Critica RetroIn the Wake of the Bounty (1933)
Diary of a Movie Maniac: Road Games (1981)
Dubsism: The Year of Living Dangerously (1982)
Hamlette's Soliloquy: Five Mile Creek (TV Show) (1983-85)
It Came From the Man Cave: King Kong (2005)
In the Good Old Days of Clasic Hollywood: Sister Kenny (1946)
Movies Meet Their Match: The Man from Snowy River (1982)
MovieRob: Down Under (1990), Whale Rider (2002), World's Fastest Indian (2005)
Realweegiemidget Reviews: Neighbours (TV Show) (1985-?)
Revealed in Time: Australia (2008)
Revealed in Time: The Thorn Birds (1983)
Silver Screenings: Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
The Stop Button: Malcolm (1986)


44 comments:

  1. Hi. I'd like to join with a look at The Sundowners, Fred Zinnemann's 1960 film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thats still on my list to watch. You got it. Thanks for joining.

      Delete
  2. Put me down for The Year of Living Dangerously

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to review Russell Crowe's performance in Gladiator. :)

    (My blog is www.classicsandcraziness.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining. Saw it when it was first released.

      Delete
  4. I've updated my blog-a-thon page to include this! Thanks for letting join!
    https://dubsism.com/movies-and-movie-blog-a-thons/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind of blogger would I be if i had refused to let you join...? :-D

      Delete
  5. Found you through Hamlette’s blog! I would love to review Australia with Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I also review The Thornbirds? It’s one of my favorite miniseries

      Delete
    2. Been a busy week. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. You got it.

      Delete
  6. This is such a cool idea! I would love to review The Man From Snowy River (1982).

    Movies Meet Their Match
    https://moviesmeetmatch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, YAYAYAYAY! That's my fave movie if all time. So excited to read your review!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Hamlette! It is one of my favorites, too!

      Delete
  7. I have wanted to check out Peter Jackson's King Kong forever sounds like a good time to do so will put your banner up soon. Thanks
    Bob
    It Came From The Man Cave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I'd love to do an early Peter Weir film, Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like to review Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) as well thanks - great minds think alike. from Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quiggy, theres shed loads to write about for this show so just going to do a wee list about on the roles played by 5 of the cast who made it big in Hollywood.

      Delete
    2. Thought I'd added this to my Neighbours comment! (Might make more sense now)

      Delete
    3. I saw it. I assumed that's what you meant. Unless you think I need to clarify I thought I'd just leave it as is on the roll call. You can write it however you want.

      Delete
  10. Hi, can I change that to reviewing the Aussie TV Soap Neighbours instead? Just spotted you accepting TV Posts too. from Gill at Realweegiemidget Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to write about In the Wake of the Bounty (1933) - also Errol Flynn's first film!
    Cheers!
    Le from Critica Retro

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Quiggy. I live in Australia, so I would love to join. However, I must admit that I'm not really into Australian movies, nor have I seen any. Would you allow a post on a biopic movie made in the United States that is about an Australian icon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say anything with an Australian connection is fair game. Just tell me the title so I can add it.

      Delete
    2. Hi Quiggy. Sorry for the late reply. Would "Sister Kenny" ( 1946 ) be acceptable? If so, put me down for that.

      Delete
  13. Can I do Malcolm for "The Stop Button"?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Quiggy,

    Can I do Quigley Down Under (1990), The Whale Rider (2002) and The World's Fastest Indian (2005).

    Tnx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Is it too late to join? I would love to review Road Games (1980)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only too late if it's, like July... :-) Thanks for joining.

      Delete
  16. Hey Quiggy, here's my link:
    https://angelman.blogspot.com/2019/06/adventures-of-priscilla-queen-of-the-desert.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! Here is my take on Road Games (1981): https://diaryofamoviemaniac.wordpress.com/2019/06/22/road-games-1981/

    ReplyDelete

I'm pretty liberal about freedom of speech, but if you try to use this blog to sell something it will be deleted.