Sunday, July 15, 2018

Announcing the Gender-Bending the Rules Blogathon




Angelman (Chris), who runs the website Angelman's Place and I have teamed up to present a blogathon that reaches into new territories.  New territories for the average blogathon, at any rate.  And the pairing of Angelman and I is a match made perfect for the theme; one of us a gay man and one of us is a straight man (albeit one with some rather liberal attitudes towards sex in general).

The inspiration for this idea came after having done a few movies that had cross-dressing characters (Victor/Victoria, La Cage aux Folles, To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert).  I wanted to do a new blogathon that specifically centered on the various movies which featured men posing as women and women posing as men.

The first thing that came to mind was that my fellow blogger friend, Chris, might be interested in it.  Not only was he interested, he even agreed to come on board as a co-host for the blogathon.  And we hope that you find the subject matter intriguing enough to join us.  The theme is rather narrow, I admit, but there are many possibilities and the rules allow for several interpretations for entries.

Hollywood has had a relationship with gender identity that has gone from hostility in the days of the Hays Code to one that is more permissive since the 60's. We have only a few rules to entering this blogathon and they are as follows:


BLOGATHON RULES
• Review any film or television show featuring characters who bend the traditional gender roles to memorable dramatic or comedic effect. 
• No more than three duplicates of any one title will be allowed, however, so reserve your topic ASAP.
• Previously published material is OK if it fits well with our theme, but original material is preferred.
• Please request your title/topic in the comments below, and grab a blogathon banner to post on your site and help us promote the event.
• A full list of participants will be posted on a separate page and updated regularly once the blogathon begins. Post your links there.
• Please keep all posts and comments polite and respectful.


The Roster so far: (This list is in film title order for your convenience.  Remember, if a film has three listings, choose a different topic.  Thanks.


Albert Nobbs (2011)- MovieRob
The Belles of St. Trinian's (1954)- Great Old Movies
The Birdcage (1996)-  The Midnite Drive-In
The Birdcage (1996)Realweegiemidget Reviews
First a Girl (1935) - Caftan Woman
I Don't Want to Be a Man (1918)- Crítica Retrô
I Was a Male War Bride (1949)- Anybody Got a Match
Just One of the Guys (1985)- Angelman's Place
Mulan (1998)- The Wonderful World of Cinema
Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985)- The Midnite Drive-In 
Some Like It Hot (1959)- Top 10 Film Lists
Tales of the City (1993 miniseries)-  Angelman's Place
Tootsie (1982)-  In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood
Tootsie (1982)-  Rick's Real/Reel Life
Twelfth Night (1970)- Wide Screen World
Victor/Victoria (1982)- MovieRob
Yentl (1983)- MovieRob 












36 comments:

  1. Good morning. I'd like to sign up with a look at First a Girl from 1935.
    http://www.caftanwoman.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about the ITV television version of TWELFTH NIGHT starting Alec Guinness?
    http://widescreenworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayy, thanks Quiggy, I need to post on my site too - you beat me to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told you it would be early... :-D I get up at 4am at the latest even on my days off...

      Delete
  4. I may be being ambitious, but you can put me down for Just One of the Guys too - a great 1980s comedy I have wanted to cover as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it on the list. This thing is off to a pretty good start.

      Delete
  5. Hi, can you also put me down for The Birdcage (1996), thanks Gill from Realweegiemidget Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Quiggy. I'd be happy to cover "I Was A Male War Bride ( 1949 ). Thanks.

    My blog is: In The Good Old Days Of Classic Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually Quiggy. I'm going to change my mind. I will do "Sylvia Scarlett" ( 1935 ) instead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Idea! While I'm tempted to write about Queen Christina, I'd like to choose Some Like it Hot since I'm currently in a bit of a Billy Wildr phase. I blog at Top10filmlists.com Thanks

    kevin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Quiggy. Sorry to be a nuisance. Can I change my topic to "Tootsie"? I haven't seen it for ages, but I remember it being quite fun.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a nuisance. I actually expect a little waffling in the mix :-) I changed it. Unless you want to do both?

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. OK. I'm committing a cardinal sin by assuming, but I assume your website is "Rick's Real/Reel Life"?

      Delete
  11. Oh I got it added the same day. I just wanted to be sure I had the right blog site. Welcome to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! I would like to write about Mulan :) I'm at The Wonderful World of Cinema
    https://thewonderfulworldofcinema.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get it added. Was on vacation over the weekend or I would have done it already. thanks for entering.

      Delete
  13. Hey! Is it cool if I pick up I Was a Male War Bride from 1949?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd like to write about the suggestively-named I don't want to be a man (1918).
    Cheers!
    Le

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Quiggy,

    Can I do Yentyl (1983), Albert Nobbs (2011) and Victor/Victoria (1982)?

    Tnx.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three? Good luck with that! :-) I wear myself out when I do two... OK. You got them.

      Delete
  16. Hey Quiggy - Bill at Great Old Movies has also posted his entry:
    https://greatoldmovies.blogspot.com/2018/09/the-belles-of-st-trinians.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Quiggy, I'm sorry I wasn't able to participate. I've been very busy with Uni and was unable to get around to it.... please forgive me.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a day late & a dollar short, but here is the link to my post on Some Like it Hot for the gender bending the Rules blogathon! https://bit.ly/2IbTF06 So sorry this is late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I apologize for not getting it up yesterday. I was really busy. Thanks for joining.

      Delete
  19. Yayy, so glad you could join us - great article one of my all-time favorite films - I concur with your "10"--but saw no place where I could post a comment for my rave review!
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete

I'm pretty liberal about freedom of speech, but if you try to use this blog to sell something it will be deleted.